Master Builders Australia has been delivering the Women Building Australia program for the past 2 years, beginning with an initial pilot that funded the National Mentoring Program growing to the Careers Expos program to increase awareness of the opportunities for young women, their parents and careers advisors to pursue training for careers in the building and construction industry.
The original three-year Women Building Australia comprised the following components:
- A mentoring program to assist those who are recent entrants into the industry with particular support to deal with career advancement, working in male-dominated environments and discrimination.
- Provision of scholarships for female achievers and emergent leaders to participate in leadership development programs.
- Attendance at career expos with an explicit call to action to encourage women into the industry with the target audience being females school leavers, career advisors and parents.
Women Building Australia Expanded Program
The process of developing the expanded Women Building Australia program in discussion with the Office of Women and Minister Payne’s Office occurred during the height of the Covid-crisis in 2020 focusing on activities to provide support for women in the industry around business resilience and harassment.
The components of the expanded Women Building Australia program are:
- Dedicated Women Building Australia website providing resources and support for women in the building and construction industry
- Business resilience coaching program including courses and coaching for women small business operators in the industry.
- Female led business register to provide a resource for people who would like to use female operated building and construction suppliers.
- Provide industry specific support for women that experience in discrimination and harassment
- Continuation of the National Mentoring Program over the next 2 years
- Continuation of attendance at career expos encouraging more women to enter the industry.
Denita Wawn CEO of Master Builders Australia stated:
“Personally, I am thrilled that with support from the Office of Women Master Builders Australia is able run Women Building Australia, programs that are making a big difference and successfully supporting female participation in our industry and increasing awareness of the wonderful career opportunities it provides.”