Welder / Fabricator
As a welder, you fabricate and repair metal products using various welding techniques.
Other related roles include a metal fabricator, who marks off and fabricates structural steel for structures such as boilers or pressure vessels. While being a sheetmetal trades workers involves marking out and joining sheetmetal to other materials.
A pressure welder assembles, welds and repairs pressure vessels and pipes, and a fitter-welder fabricates production machines and other equipment.
- Variety of roles
- Earn while you learn
- Physical work
A typical day may involve:
- aligning parts to be joined using hand tools and measuring instruments
- joining metal sections using various welding techniques, bolting and riveting
- examining welds for width of bead, penetration and precision
- cleaning and smoothing welds by filing, chiselling and grinding
It helps to be good at:
- Physical tasks
- Using tools and machinery
- Attention to detail
- Cert III in Engineering – Fabrication Trade
You may be able to work in:
Electrical engineering draftsperson
- Electrical engineering technician