What are the career opportunities?

The building industry offers a fantastic range of opportunities for women.

Get on a training pathway to a great job, a rewarding career and the chance to be your own boss as one of the thousands of successful businesses in our the industry.

If you're looking for a job, a great career or the opportunity to go out and start your own business then the building industry is for you.

Serena Giudice, Managing Director, Geraldton Homes, Western Australia

Skilled Construction Workers

The main way to start out is as a construction labourer or trades assistant and then move to a variety of construction roles some of which will need further education

Skilled Tradespeople

Those who have completed an apprenticeship.

Building Technicians

Covers a variety of activities including Foreman, Project Manager, Estimator, Contracts Administrator, Workplace Safety Officer and Drafting. These jobs can be undertaken while studying through cadetships.


Includes architects, engineers and project managers

How do I get a start?

If you want an immediate start with little training then you should focus on entry level jobs such as a labourer or cleaner. A white card is a prerequisite in working on a construction site which is a course designed to ensure everyone understands the safety aspects of working in the industry. A certificate in construction from a Registered Training Organisation or school would be useful as would experience through a pre-employment course. Specialist training can then occur for specific roles as you progress in the industry.

An apprenticeship will require a combination of off-the-job and on-the-job training in a variety of trade related roles in building and construction. You can undertake a pre-apprenticeship to assist in finding an apprenticeship role. Apprenticeships can be undertaken directly with a trade professional or alternatively through a group training organisation.

Building Technician roles require training to be completed before employment, usually at Diploma level, but there are some jobs available, usually known as cadetships, where you can work and stay part-time.

Professional roles require a degree or an advanced diploma. Some people in the industry undertake professional study while they are working in the industry in other roles.