As an architect, you design new buildings and renovations to existing structures. You use structural, mechanical and aesthetic design elements to influence the human experience of being inside a space or environment.
You can work at an architectural practice or for a construction company. Regular visits to a site may be required.
You need the ability to design and plan for 3-dimensional spaces.
- National and international work
- Professional role
A typical day may involve:
- getting advice from clients or management to determine the type, style and size of planned buildings or alterations
- providing information about designs, materials and estimated building times
- preparing project documentation, including sketches and scale drawings
- writing specifications and contract documents for use by builders
- inspecting work in progress for compliance with plans, specifications and quality standards
It helps to be good at:
- creative and technical design
- planning and managing projects
- communicating clearly
- attention to detail
- Bachelor of Architecture
You may be able to work in:
- Construction (commercial, industrial and residential)
- Civil engineering draftsperson