Building Inspectors enforce, advise on and interpret laws and regulations controlling building construction.
Building Inspectors may perform tasks including:
- providing advice and assistance to builders and owners before finalisation and lodgement of plans so that potential problems can be avoided;
- assessing building plans submitted for approval and establishing that buildings or structures to be erected or altered conform with building regulations and codes of practice;
- inspecting buildings during the progress of the work to make sure plans, specifications and regulations are being followed;
- assessing the building’s suitability for issue of a certificate of occupancy;
- giving evidence in court when prosecutions are necessary for breaches of building regulations;
- inspecting existing buildings to assess conditions; and
- giving advice on building matters.
- good organisational skills
- practical approach to problem solving
- able to interpret plans and drawings
Education and Training
Entry to this job requires a building qualification plus building industry experience. Entry to the diploma course requires Year 12/VCE. Alternative entry
may be available.