As an interior designer, you plan, design, detail and supervise the construction of commercial, industrial, retail and residential building interiors.
You aim to create an environment tailored to a purpose, with particular emphasis on space creation, space planning and factors that enhance living and working environments.
You may be able to run your own business.
- Working with others
A typical day may involve:
- consulting with clients and stakeholders
- researching and analysing spatial, functional, efficiency, safety and aesthetic requirements
- formulating design concepts for building interiors
- preparing sketches, diagrams, illustrations and plans
- negotiating with clients, management, suppliers and construction staff
- selecting, specifying and recommending functional and aesthetic materials, furniture and products for interiors
- detailing and documenting selected design for construction
- supervising the construction of interiors
It helps to be good at:
- planning and managing projects
- communicating clearly
- keeping things organised
- working calmly under pressure
- Diploma Interior Design
- Bachelor Design (Interior Design)
You may be able to work in:
- Architectural Draftsperson (building design)