Plumbers lay out, test and maintain pipes, fixtures, metal roofing, fittings, gas meters and regulators. They install equipment such as boilers, pumps, heating and cooling systems, natural gas appliances, water tanks and solar water heating systems.
The term ‘plumber’ is often used to cover a wide range of work including water supply and sanitary systems, drainage, gasfitting, LP gas, roof plumbing, sprinkler systems, irrigation systems and associated work in heating and ventilation systems. Some categories of work such as gasfitting and LP gas are specialist areas and a plumber must be specifically licensed to operate in these fields.
Plumbers may perform tasks including:
- preparing and/or studying drawings and specifications;
- finding and marking positions for connections, then cutting holes through walls and floors to accommodate pipes, measuring pipes and marking, cutting or bending lines;
- cutting, threading and bending pipes, assembling and installing piping, valves and fittings, joining pipe sections and securing pipes;
- installing plumbing fixtures; and
- maintaining and repairing plumbing systems.
- able to work with hands
- able to work at heights and in various weather conditions
- physically fit
Education and Training
Entry to this occupation is via an apprenticeship or contract of training.